Ticket #29 (closed defect: fixed)

Opened 10 years ago

Last modified 9 years ago

Dbus Appears Broken with Ubuntu 9.04

Reported by: anonymous Owned by: martin.github@…
Priority: critical Milestone:
Component: library Version: 0.2.1
Keywords: Cc:

Description

I installed Dbus from source on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and I can't get any of the examples running.

Error message:

/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/dbus/bus.rb:527:in `process': undefined method `get_node' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/dbus/bus.rb:468:in `send_sync'
from (eval):20:in `ListNames'

This appears to be affecting others too. See:

 http://redcar.lighthouseapp.com/projects/25090/tickets/60-cant-install-on-jaunty-undefined-method-get_node-for-nilnilclass

Change History

Changed 9 years ago by anonymous

I installed Dbus from source on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and I can't get any of the examples running.

Error message:  nike air yeezy shoes

Changed 9 years ago by anonymous

  • version set to 0.2.1

Changed 9 years ago by paolo@…

  • priority changed from normal to critical

It happens with version 0.2.10 with Ubuntu 9.04 The code from the tutorial fails.

$ irb

require 'dbus'

=> true

bus = DBus.session_bus

=> #<DBus::SessionBus:0x7f45a9ed88c0 @guid="d4acff2a02b667fa9dc5af2a4aef3e3c", @proxy=nil, @unique_name=":1.62", @unix_abstract="/tmp/dbus-AI13XiS6cV", @signal_matchrules=[], @type="abstract", @method_call_msgs={}, @buffer="l\004\001\001\n\000\000\000\002\000\000\000\215\000\000\000\001\001o\000\025\000\000\000/org/freedesktop/DBus\000\000\000\002\001s\000\024\000\000\000org.freedesktop.DBus\000\000\000\000\003\001s\000\f\000\000\000NameAcquired\000\000\000\000\006\001s\000\005\000\000\000:1.62\000\000\000\b\001g\000\001s\000\000\a\001s\000\024\000\000\000org.freedesktop.DBus\000\000\000\000\005\000\000\000:1.62\000", @client=#<DBus::Client:0x7f45a9ed4fb8 @authenticator=#<DBus::External:0x7f45a9ed4c70>, auth_list[], state:Authenticated, socket#<Socket:0x7f45a9ed7e70, @object_root=<DBus::Node {}>, socket#<Socket:0x7f45a9ed7e70, @path="unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-AI13XiS6cV,guid=d4acff2a02b667fa9dc5af2a4aef3e3c", @transport="unix", @method_call_replies={}>

service = bus.request_service("org.ruby.service")

NoMethodError?: undefined method `get_node' for nil:NilClass

from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/dbus/bus.rb:527:in `process' from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/dbus/bus.rb:468:in `send_sync' from (eval):24:in `RequestName?' from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/dbus/bus.rb:382:in `request_service' from (irb):3

Changed 9 years ago by r2

The problem exists also in 0.2.11.

Is this working on any other platform? Can't believe that an error which makes this library unusable was not fixed since 9 months. Is there no motivation? Or has no one an idea from where this error is come from?

Before I take a deeper look at this - I think it would be useful to know why this wasn't fixed yet. I mean if there is a special reason it would be good to know that external help is needed.

kind regards r2

Changed 9 years ago by martin.github@…

  • owner changed from nobody to martin.github@…

Hi,

actually you are right that there is little motivation - so far I have actually used only the client part of the library in the application. And the application took most of my time...

Anyway, I do have an idea what is wrong, although I am not sure how to make it into a good fix. See the replacement for request_service in  http://gitorious.org/opensuse/yast-rest-service/commit/d8e2834d8e4e7ee64734c4203ed7eadeed1d0f3f

I'll look into it now.

Changed 9 years ago by conor.curran@…

I am getting the same thing - odd thing is my script works fine when I copy and paste it into irb ...

Changed 9 years ago by martin.github@…

  • status changed from new to closed
  • resolution set to fixed

Yay! I have just pushed out the fix:  http://github.com/mvidner/ruby-dbus/commit/19ebcb48eba45391ed5a15c3c1a92e08422907e6 Expect a new release tarball/gem/rpm in the next days.

Changed 9 years ago by martin.github@…

The fix in the previous comment actually fixed only the problem in comment 3, which is a duplicate of ticket:25. But apparently the main problem was a duplicate of ticket:34, which only got fixed today.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.